NewJeans, Ive win first national culture merit
简介K-pop girl groups NewJeans and Ive were awarded a national culture merit on Saturday for their role ...
K-pop girl groups NewJeans and Ive were awarded a national culture merit on Saturday for their role in the promotion of Korean culture and arts.
The rookie groups were recognized with the Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism Commendation at the 14th Korea Popular Culture and Arts Awards. The ceremony was held on Saturday at Haeoreum Grand Theater of the National Theater of Korea in central Seoul.
"We are honored to receive such big award. We feel grateful to our fans, Bunnies, and everyone who have loved the popular culture. ... We consider this prize an encouragement to work harder and will become a team that contributes further to the advancement of pop culture," NewJeans said in a statement released by its label Ador on Sunday. The band could not attend the ceremony in person due to promotions overseas.
Ive also thanked fans through an agency statement Sunday.
"We thank the people who have enjoyed Ive's music and our fans, Dive, who have been a great support to us. We will strive to improve the global reputation of Korean culture and become a team that continues to grow to exert positive influence," the statement read.
This marks the first time that the two groups were recognized from the Korea Popular Culture and Arts Awards, an annual ceremony that aims to commend figures who have contributed to the development of the local pop culture and art scene -- spanning various fields from singers, actors, comedians, directors and more.
Debuting in December 2021, six-member group Ive instantly shot to fame with chart-topping singles the likes of "Eleven," "Love Dive" and "After Like." Making hits on end with every music release, Ive swept rookie of the year and song of the year awards last year. Most recently, its latest, first EP "I've Mine," racked up 1.6 million copies in a week, marking a new high for the band and the third highest record set by a K-pop girl group in history.
A force to be reckoned with upon debuting in July 2022, NewJeans has been reshaping the K-pop landscape with its sensational hits, including "Hype Boy," "OMG" and "Super Shy." Its presence was prominent globally, debuting on the UK Official Singles Chart and Billboard Hot 100 in less than a year from its launch and setting records on Spotify's streaming charts. With its latest EP "Get Up," the group debuted atop the Billboard 200 chart, becoming the first female Korean group to enter the chart at its top.
Ive and NewJeans were among the 10 recipients of the culture minister commendations at this year's pop culture and arts awards, which also included boy band The Boyz and music producer 250.
At a higher level, boy band Stray Kids was honored with the prime minister's commendation.
This year also saw the historic win by 81-year-old singer Lee Mi-ja, who became the first K-pop artist to win the award's highest honor, Geumgwan Order of Cultural Merit. The veteran vocalist was recognized for her status as the most influential pop artist of the 1960s.
Upon opening the door to her studio, one is overwhelmed by the plethora of oil paintings – both visu ...
"Trend Korea," a trends forecasting book series published annually, has returned with 10 predictions ...
Arsonist onboardOn Feb. 18, 2003, Daegu metro train no. 1079 pulled into Songhyeon Station at around ...
- Generational shift looms in SK leadership
- PM makes official visit to Denmark to promote Expo bid
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains
- Appeals court upholds 40
- US deploys fighter jets in S. Korea for air exercise in Singapore
- S. Korea keeping close tabs on reported repatriation of N.K. defectors from China: minister
Venezuelan Embassy holds disputed Essequibo territory referendum event
판 커진 구청장 선거…민주당 크게 이겼다
[HIT Forum] Innospace champions small satellite renaissance
[HIT Forum] High schooler shares his space dream
Can 'Singles Inferno' boost basketball's popularity?
Seoul shares open higher on US gains after Fed comments
- Suneung might not see perfect scorer for first time in 13 years
- [Herald Interview] VIXX highlights group’s continuity in 5th EP ‘Continuum’
- 김영진, 원희룡 인천 계양을 출마설에 “이재명과 맞대결 환영”
- NIS seeking to form Asian cooperative body to counter drug crimes
- All residents with disabilities to get personal doctor
- [From the Scene] Hyundai Motor looks into future of auto production in Singapore
- 김영진, 원희룡 인천 계양을 출마설에 “이재명과 맞대결 환영”
- Meritz carries out reshuffle for group synergy
- Daewoo E&C chief cements ties with Nigerian leaders
- South Korea’s digital reputation dented by government network outage
- NMK to extend support for Korean galleries at six museums abroad
- Le Sserafim to release first English single 'Perfect Night'
- [Herald Interview] Dyson engineer stresses potential of Korean hair care market
- 28th BIFF comes to an end
- Seoul shares end higher on tech gains, Fed comments
- [Exclusive] 'Game of Thrones' publisher inks deal for Korean books for first time
- GS Caltex, Posco team up on biofuel
- 기세 올린 이재명 체제…이번엔 한동훈 겨냥 공세 집중
- South Korean oil payments for Iran frozen again over Hamas links
- Dansaekhwa master Park Seo
- S Korea, UAE to hold aviation talks over potential increase in bilateral flights
- P&G Korea launches premium diaper to combat skin dryness
- Kia to expand EV lineup with mass market appeal
- 尹지지율 긍정 33%·부정 58%…"명절 기간 물가 등 경제난 체감"
- 尹 보선 첫 반응 "선거 결과서 교훈 찾아, 지혜롭게 변화를"
- LS Cable inks partnership for Vietnam submarine cable market
- 대통령실 “UAE 대통령 방한 순연”…이스라엘·하마스 충돌 영향
- 野 “與 보선 참패 후 이재명 전광석화 기소…국민 심판받을 것”
- “北, 무단철거 금강산 골프장서 옥수수 건조”
- KT & G to build new tobacco plant in Kazakhstan