Questions remain after passage of anonymous birth bill
简介The National Assembly on Friday passed a bill allowing women to give birth anonymously at hospitals ...
The National Assembly on Friday passed a bill allowing women to give birth anonymously at hospitals as part of its efforts to reduce the number of children denied registration at birth.
But concerns are growing over the anonymous birth system, which will be introduced in July next year, with some suggesting that it might lead to more mothers giving up their children, especially when it comes to children born with a disability.
Observers also say that the Protected Birth Bill still falls short of accounting for unwanted pregnancies and lacks protective measures for single parents.
The bill comes amid mounting public outrage over a series of infanticide cases that emerged after the government launched a nationwide probe earlier this year into the whereabouts of so-called “ghost babies,” or undocumented babies.
Single-mother civic groups in Korea have voiced their concerns over the new scheme, saying that it might increase the number of out-of-hospital births, as well as the stigma around single motherhood, as it requires hospitals to notify the local government of a baby's information within 14 days of birth through the Health Insurance Review and Assessment Service.
They argue that this would push more single parents or mothers of unwanted pregnancies to give birth outside of hospitals to keep them a secret and their identities hidden. An estimated 100 to 200 out-of-hospital births occur annually, according to reports citing medical personnel. According to the Board of Audit Inspection report released mid-June, at least 2,236 children born between 2015 and 2022 in medical institutions were not registered with the government.
The bill also does not include registration for non-citizen parents, which would leave many foreigners unable to access basic services for their children.
Under the scheme, a child who is given up for adoption can request the disclosure of one’s birth certificate under the Child Rights Guarantee, but a mother can choose not to disclose her personal information, leaving the child unable to find information about their biological mother.
Despite these hiccups, however, Welfare Minister Cho Kyu-hong expressed hope that the enactment of the new law will allow women to give birth safely at a hospital, reducing health risks to mothers and their children.
The Munich Philharmonic has set several milestones while in Korea.The orchestra made a rare Korea-ex ...
Hit filmmaker Kim Jee-woon has returned with black comedy “Cobweb,” joining forces with Cannes-winni ...
Actor Song Joong-ki, who has wowed the audience with both commercial and critical TV success through ...
- Buddhists, political leaders bid farewell to late Ven. Jaseung
- N.Korea blasts Yoon for denouncing military ties with Russia at UN
- [Bills in Focus] Holding CEOs accountable for lack of internal financial control
- Reconstructed Dondeokjeon hall in Deoksu Palace to open to public
- '이상민 탈당' 때린 민주 의원들 "국회의장 하려 동지 팔아"
- KB chief hopes successor transforms group into 'Samsung of finance'
AmCham seminar explores health care as bigger part of Korea
Hyundai Motor may sell Russian plant to local firm
KFCC hosts UN conference for inclusive finance
[Bills in Focus] Holding CEOs accountable for lack of internal financial control
Seoul shares end higher on Fed's rate cut hopes
Political strife may delay Korea’s launch of new space agency
- KBS ‘Goryeo
- YG's new group Babymonster to debut on Nov. 27
- 검사탄핵안 이어…야당, 이번엔 검사 좌표찍기
- 이동관 탄핵땐 방통위 1명 남아, 방송 재승인·재허가 올스톱
- 송영길 "어린 건방진 놈" 한동훈 "운동권 했다고 우월한 척"
- [Herald Interview] Korean 'changgeuk' meets Peking opera
- Stalking crimes could lead to up to 5 years in prison custody
- AI in your pocket: Samsung Galaxy S to feature real
- Jungkook adopts guerilla tactics for 'Golden' promotion
- Kakao CEO apologizes for SM stock manipulation allegations
- [From the Scene] Don't remember Itaewon alley as place of death, victims' families say
- 한·사우디 43년 만의 공동성명 “방산·네옴시티 협력 강화”
- Braving wind and high water to celebrate Dokdo Day
- 윤재옥 "이재명 '내각 총사퇴' 주장, 정쟁을 위한 도전장"
- Seoul shares dip amid grim outlook for EV sector
- 이재명, 여·야·정 3자 회동 제안…"바지사장 아닌 尹 직접 나서야"
- [사진] 빈 살만 운전 자청, 윤 대통령 동행
- [Herald Interview] Kim Gi
- Enhypen's 'Fate' tour draws 85,000 fans in the US
- Celltrion chief calls merger crucial to beat bigger rivals
- 500 bird strikes reported in past 5 years: data
- Korea's yakgwa booming on back of ‘newtro’ trend, media coverage
- AleXa to perform on Jingle Ball Tour as 1st K
- [Herald Interview] Saudi Arabia seeks to engage with world through Diriyah Contemporary Art Biennale
- Book records testimonies of bereaved families, survivors of Itaewon tragedy
- LG Energy Solution Q3 net soars on US demand
- Defense chief, US envoy discuss joint efforts to deter N. Korean threats
- Woori Bank accelerates overseas expansion
- Crowd crush victims forced to cope alone
- 美연구소 "北, 러에 보낸 포탄은 50만 발…한 달 사용 분량"