Things to note to prevent disputes in international contracts: The critical clause of governing law
简介With globalization, various types of international contracts have emerged, emphasizing the importanc ...
With globalization, various types of international contracts have emerged, emphasizing the importance of well-reviewed international contracts. It is important to understand the core of international contracts, as disputes in international trade could dramatically increase the costs in terms of time and money. Here, we discuss the concepts of international contracts with Attorney Han Daeun, from law firm Law-win.
Q. What is an international contract?
An international contract is a legally binding agreement between two or more parties from different countries. With globalization, various types of international contracts emerged such as international supply agreements, distribution agreements, manufacturing agreements, and share transfer agreements. As the parties involved in the contract usually have various sociolinguistic, cultural, and legal backgrounds, they tend to have different understandings of the legal terms or conditions stipulated in the contract, resulting in uncertainty, vagueness, and potential risks. To minimize such uncertainties, an international contract must be advised with precision and checked on a regular basis.
Q: Which country's law applies?
A: Governing law or applicable law is a contractual provision that determines which law shall apply in the event of a dispute in an international contract. Each country has its own private international law that regulates the governing law. In general, in cases where no governing law clause has been stipulated, the contract may be governed according to the jurisdiction that has the most important connection to the agreement. For instance, the location of the contract takes place, where the products are distributed.
Q: Can we choose a governing law for the international contract?
A: The parties can reach an agreement when deciding on governing law. The governing law could be one from either side of the party or any other laws irrelevant to the contract. There are various factors to consider when reaching an agreement on governing law, such as the consistency between the governing law clause and jurisdiction clause, the international customary practice, the types of market, and types of law (civil law or common law). Hence, the company should analyze the market and its business carefully and discuss with the experts which law should be included in their international contract's governing law.
Law firm Law-Win’s international litigation advisory team has been established to effectively resolve domestic and international legal disputes without language barriers, working by competent attorneys specialized in various practical areas such as criminal law, civil law, bankruptcy, etc and 49 interpreters of 14 languages (Sri Lankan, English, Thai, Arabic, Russian, French, Mongolian, Chinese, Myanmar, Japanese, Khmer, German, Vietnamese, and Uzbek. -- Ed.
홍준표 대구시장. 뉴스1홍준표 대구시장이 대통령실의 상황을 ‘나홀로 백척간두에 썼다’라고 언급하며 당·정이 처한 난맥상을 지적했다.홍 시장은 4일 자신의 페이스북에 “인요한 혁신위 ...
The teaser video for Seventeen’s 11th EP was brought down on Sunday, said agency Pledis Entertainmen ...
용산 팔도장터 찾아 떡메치기윤석열 대통령이 24일 서울 용산어린이정원에서 열린 ‘추석맞이 팔도장터’에서 어린이와 떡메치기를 하고 있다. 이날 전국의 다양한 추석 성수품을 구입한 윤 ...
- 尹지지율 긍정 33%·부정 58%…"명절 기간 물가 등 경제난 체감"
- 대통령실 “UAE 대통령 방한 순연”…이스라엘·하마스 충돌 영향
- BOK wins lawsuit on face of Korea's 100 won coin
- Striving to be the best, TXT returns with 3rd LP
- Gwanghwamun's 'woldae' to be unveiled this week after restoration
- P&G Korea launches premium diaper to combat skin dryness
- KT & G to build new tobacco plant in Kazakhstan
- 대통령실 “UAE 대통령 방한 순연”…이스라엘·하마스 충돌 영향
- [Exclusive] 'Game of Thrones' publisher inks deal for Korean books for first time
- S Korea, UAE to hold aviation talks over potential increase in bilateral flights
- 공군 수송기 급파, 한·일 220명 텔아비브 탈출
- Posco Future M achieves 100% recycling of refractory waste
- [New in Korean] Witches, ecofeminism, climate crisis: Tale of resilience and nature’s power
- [Top Envoy] Russian satellite help not likely priority for North Korea: Chun
- Andong, serene destination for immersing in traditions
- S. Korea, UAE strike bilateral free trade agreement
- BTS Jungkook's star
- Returning minister Yu In
- Over 90% of fines for illegal short selling imposed on foreign firms
- Japan thanks S. Korea for Israel rescue effort
- HMM sale to face hurdles amid slowdown in shipping industry
- BOK expected to stand pat this week over growth risks: experts
- Wage talks between Kia, labor union fail again
- Unwind with Korea food, lifestyle docs on Netflix
- New book sheds light on ongoing debate and legacy of comfort women issues
- Seoul defense exhibition aims to boost arms exports
- Korea extends fuel tax cut scheme until year's end
- Try on traditional Korean costume during Hanbok Culture Week
- Key ruling party officials offer to resign over by
- [이번 주 리뷰] 중동 전쟁 우려…국민의힘 보선 참패(9~14일)