On verge of closing, rural school tries to lure students with financial benefits
简介A rural district in South Jeolla Province has pledged a benefits package for families of students wh ...
A rural district in South Jeolla Province has pledged a benefits package for families of students who joins a school in Hongdo, a small island off South Korea’s southwestern coast suffering from population drop.
Sinan-gun, the jurisdiction in which Hongdo lies, said Tuesday that it has received inquiries from over 80 households related to its planned cash incentives for new enrollees at Heuksan Elementary School’s Hongdo branch, which will graduate all three of its students in February, with no students currently slated to enroll next year.
In a desperate bid to save the school, the district promised that a household with a student enrolling in the school would be provided with a residence with at least two rooms, a job that pays about 3.2 million won ($2,370) per month and financial subsidies of 400,000 won per child. Sinan-gun said it plans to recruit four students and their families, with the plan to provide a comfortable home for them.
The district plans to invite the final 12 qualifying households to Hongdo to host a meeting with locals while showing them around the school and related facilities.
Households with more elementary students and younger students will have priority in the selection process.
“Seeing as (the policy) sparked substantial interest in the Hongdo school case, we plan to expand the plan for small schools in Heuksando and other islands,” Sinan-gun chief Park Woo-ryang was quoted as saying.
According to the South Jeolla Province Office of Education in April, 31 schools in the province did not have a single new student for the new school year that started in March.
Between the majority of the South Koreans being concentrated in the Greater Seoul area and the country’s population on a downward trend since 2020, the Jeolla provinces have suffered from a persistently decreasing population. An April report from Statistics Korea’s regional branch showed that 15,565 people left the region last year.
As of this year, 4.99 million people live in North and South Jeolla provinces and Gwangju. The population in the region peaked in 1966 with 6.57 million, and has been on a downward trajectory ever since.
Madrid -- On a Friday evening in October, at the King Sejong Institute of the Korean Cultural Center ...
장예찬 국민의힘 청년최고위원. 뉴스1장예찬 국민의힘 청년최고위원은 3일 더불어민주당 이상민 의원이 민주당을 탈당하며 ‘이재명 사당’, ‘개딸(개혁의 딸)당으로 변질’ 등을 언급한 ...
By Yoo Chang-joProfessor of marketing at Dongguk UniversityThe rapidly evolving landscape of technol ...
Korean War veteran’s daughter named veterans affairs minister
Insurance firms' net income jumps over 47% on
Ilyon Woo's nonfiction lands on NYT's 10 best books of 2023
[New in Korean] Tribute to mothers, daughters in 'Passing Through Winter'
Yoon’s chief economist tapped as finance minister
'12.12: The Day' surpasses 4m ticket sales on 12th day of release
- [Photo News] Sisters acting on stage
- [Photo News] Sisters acting on stage
- After 13 years, Naver's 'OnStage' music show bids farewell
- ‘Gorpcore’ a global validation of Korean ajeossi’s fashion instincts?
- Zyx Technology donates CAD software to Sungkyunkwan University
- 이원욱 “이재명, 최강욱 징계 반발하는 개딸과 이별해야”
- City becomes attractive when social minorities are empowered: Seoul mayor
- Court orders Japan to compensate ‘comfort women’
- "최강욱 '설치는 암컷' 발언 뭔 잘못이냐"는 야권 여성인사
- S. Korea, Britain forge strategic partnership on ODA projects
- 김건희 여사, 광주디자인비엔날레 찾아 “문화예술계 육성 의지”
- LG Electronics ups Q3 earnings guidance on upbeat demand
- Big firms' debt
- Four days of jazz festivities take over Jara Island
- [Photo News] Housing solutions in Asia
- 尹대통령 지지율, 1.1%p 내린 38.9% [알앤써치]
- Jungkook becomes first Korean soloist to log 2 songs in Top 5 of Billboard's Hot 100
- Shinhan to bet big on insurance tech startup
- For esports fans, more activities await beyond LoL matches
- N.SSign to resume album promotion without Doha
- Jungkook of BTS to hold fan showcase on Nov. 20
- 'We overcame together': NCT127 returns on more solid ground
- 낙후된 골목시장 누비며 “화곡을 마곡으로 만들 것”
- 예술의전당 간 한동훈 화제 되자…野 "집에 스피커 두고 왜 가나"
- BIFF expands award categories beyond Asian content to global titles
- [Today’s K
- Taemin of SHINee to drop new EP 'Guilty' on Oct. 30
- Seoul shares close tad higher ahead of key US jobs data
- 'Frasier' returns to TV but you don't need to be a superfan of the original to laugh at its jokes
- Art Token launches Hangeul