[Korea Quiz] Lucrative MLB careers
简介Choo Shin-soo, the only Korean position player ever to appear in an MLB All-Star game, made $147.5 m ...
Choo Shin-soo, the only Korean position player ever to appear in an MLB All-Star game, made $147.5 million over his 13-year career, mostly with the Cleveland Indians and Texas Rangers. His Texas days, however, were a mixed bag, as many of his seasons fell short of the expectations that accompanied his megasized deal worth $130 million over seven years, signed in 2014.
The now-retired Park Chan-ho, who became the first Korean ever to play in the MLB when he joined the LA Dodgers in 1994, was another player who experienced disappointment with the Rangers. His star rising with the Dodgers earned him a big contract with Texas in 2002, but his trajectory was dampened by injuries.
He did, however, make over $85.4 million and remains the winningest Asian-born pitcher in MLB history, and is among the most popular and influential sports figures in Korea.
Kim Ha-seong just had a breakout season for the San Diego Padres, and has ample potential to rise much higher in this list. But for the time being, the 28-year-old infielder still has two more years in his $13 million contract with Padres, which he signed as a rookie.
The Korean with the fourth most lucrative MLB career is Kim Byung-hyun, who made $20 million across nine seasons. Despite making millions less than the other Korean All-Stars -- Ryu, Choo and Park -- Kim is the first and so far only Korean to win an MLB championship, winning the coveted ring in 2001 in a memorable World Series as the closer for the Arizona Diamondbacks.
A group of US fighter jets stationed in South Korea joined an annual aerial exercise in Singapore la ...
North Korea on Monday lambasted South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol for making "hysterical" remarks ...
The fourth edition of The Korea Herald’s Global Business Forum kicked off Wednesday at Grand Hyatt S ...
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Korean Studies gaining traction at Complutense University of Madrid
- Reconstructed Dondeokjeon hall in Deoksu Palace to open to public
- 러 무기 만져보고 타보고...김정은 '북·러 합작' 도발 메뉴 내놓나
- Uzbekistan, Korea boost customs cooperation
- Can 'Singles Inferno' boost basketball's popularity?
- Major Korean firms fare worse than US counterparts in H1
Can 'Singles Inferno' boost basketball's popularity?
[Herald Review] ‘Cobweb,’ a fresh, new wind in the Korean box office
LG chief convenes CEO meeting to review growth strategy
[Hello Indonesia] Green growth cements Korea
[Bills in Focus] Holding CEOs accountable for lack of internal financial control
- [New in Korean] Witches, ecofeminism, climate crisis: Tale of resilience and nature’s power
- Choo calls for end to protectionism, supply chain recovery during G20 meeting
- Over 90% of fines for illegal short selling imposed on foreign firms
- Andong, serene destination for immersing in traditions
- Enhypen announces Nov. 17 comeback with 'Orange Blood'
- 이용, 지도부 때린 서병수·홍문표에 "선당후사·솔선수범 하라"
- N. Korea threatens to strike US aircraft carrier
- Seoul shares open lower ahead of earnings season
- SK to hold CEO meeting in Paris
- Japan thanks S. Korea for Israel rescue effort
- 장예찬 "이상민 탈당에 깊이 공감…민주당 고쳐쓰기 불가능"
- [New in Korean] Bae Myung
- Govt. posthumously confers state medal on late Ven. Jaseung
- Corning appoints company veteran as new Korea head
- Minho of SHINee to hold first solo fan concert in January
- Finance ministry to sell 4.7 tln won in NXC stocks
- [Herald Review] '12.12: The Day' avoids usual pitfalls of historical films
- 'Sweet Home 2' returns with new characters, sophisticated monsters
- Spicing up the world: Samyang’s Buldak series makes global waves
- National Orchestra of Korea's 'Winter Concert' to bring harmony of tradition, musicals
- [Hello Indonesia] Digital innovation for financial inclusivity
- [Hello Indonesia] Cultural tapestry woven at 'Korea
- Photo of Fu Bao's baby twin sisters’ birth selected for Time's Top 100 Photos of 2023
- NewJeans, Seventeen, BTS win top honors at 2023 MAMA Awards
- Insurance firms' net income jumps over 47% on
- 북·러 또 무기거래? "나진항에 석달새 대형선박 18척 드나들어”
- 군사합의 효력 정지 책임 넘긴 北 "한반도 전쟁은 시점 문제"
- Leeum Museum to restore Korean artifacts from overseas institutions
- Bomb threat causes midnight fuss at Yonsei university
- '12.12: The Day' surpasses 4m ticket sales on 12th day of release