Memorial park for independence fighter to open in Kazakhstan
简介A memorial park commemorating Hong Beom-do, a revered Korean independence fighter against Japan' ...
A memorial park commemorating Hong Beom-do, a revered Korean independence fighter against Japan's 1910-45 colonial rule, will open at his former burial site in Kazakhstan later this week, Seoul's veterans ministry said Wednesday.
South Korea had pledged to build the memorial at the site in Kyzylorda in southern Kazakhstan after repatriating his remains to Seoul for burial at Daejeon National Cemetery in Daejeon, 139 kilometers south of Seoul, in August 2021.
A ceremony marking the park's opening will take place Friday (local time), with South Korean Vice Veterans Minister Yoon Jong-jin and some 60 others expected to attend the event.
Hong is known for leading Korean independence forces in major battles in Manchuria in 1920, including the victory at the Battle of Fengwudong. In 1921, he moved to the Soviet Union to seek refuge from Japanese forces.
He was forced to relocate to current-day Kazakhstan in 1937 under then Soviet leader Joseph Stalin's policy, along with many other ethnic Koreans. He died in 1943 at the age of 75, two years before Korea's liberation from Japan's colonial rule.
Hong has recently become the subject of an ideological dispute in South Korea after the defense ministry announced in August it was considering relocating his busts from its headquarters and the Korea Military Academy, citing his past record of collaborating with Soviet communist forces.
The move has met strong objection from the opposition Democratic Party and advocates for independence fighters. (Yonhap)
Contrary to concerns that the short selling ban would lead to an exodus of foreign funds, offshore i ...
South Korean stocks opened higher Tuesday as US Treasury yields took a breather after soaring in the ...
Girl group Billlie made its long-awaited return Monday with its first single, "Side-B: Memoirs of Ec ...
- Daewoo E&C seeks to join Indonesia's capital relocation
- [Our Museums] Ride through nation's train heritage at Korea Railroad Museum
- Samsung, Hyundai ink first EV battery deal
- 'The Boys' director says blending fact, fiction necessary to deliver message
- About half of top 500 firms remain undecided on 2024 investment plans: poll
- Seoul shares open higher as US Treasury yields slide
Korean War veteran’s daughter named veterans affairs minister
Paris Baguette to expand into Middle East, Africa
Seventeen 1st male group this year to top Melon Top 100
軍 "北, 하마스식 대남공격 가능성"…증거로 나온 '방
Bomb scare hits Hongdae station, police search turns up empty
Naver to build digital twin platform for Saudi cities
- Kakao risks losing management control of Kakao Bank
- “가자주민 삶 최악…한국지원 절실”
- [Herald Interview] Kang Ik
- NewJeans, Ive win first national culture merit
- GS Group, SNU to run incubator program for startups
- China’s export curbs on graphite may raise battery prices for EVs
- Corporate direct financing jumps nearly 40% in September
- Four killed after fishing boat capsizes in S. Korea
- BTS’ Jungkook features The Kid Laroi’s new single 'Too Much’
- [Hello Hangeul] Love for Hangeul grows in corner of Sweden
- [New on the Scene] Joo Jong
- STX to supply lithium with South American partners
- 윤 대통령, 오스틴 美국방과 만찬 “北, 하마스식 도발땐 단호히 응징”
- 사법공백 두달…대법원장 후보 조희대 지명
- 尹 대통령 “새마을정신 되새겨 혁신과 창의로 뭉쳐야”
- Yoon's approval rating falls for first time in 3 weeks to 34.7%
- KDI slashes 2024 growth to 2.2%
- ‘Feminist’ and ‘mama’s boy’ make the least desirable dates in Korea, survey finds
- Jeju female divers 'haenyeo' listed as FAO agricultural heritage system
- Seoul shares open higher on hope for exports recovery
- YG's new group Babymonster to debut on Nov. 27
- NewJeans to be first K
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Buddhism scholar committed to expanding Korean studies at Yale
- [Herald Interview] Kiss of Life continues to describe different aspects of freedom through music
- Kumho Petrochemical comits to net zero by 2050
- Investment opportunities in Kazakhstan, South Chungcheong Province highlighted at GBF
- 노조에 파업 손배 청구 힘들어져…재계, 노란봉투법 통과 강력 반발
- Hanwha Ocean to raise capital for wind power business
- Jungkook adopts guerilla tactics for 'Golden' promotion
- Park Bom to return with new single ‘I’